Saturday 18 April 2015

Blog Talk - Sex in YA Books


I recently read a book which I was enjoying until something happened - the protagonist used a guy for sex to distract herself from the bad things that were happening in her life. Then did it again and again.

This really annoyed me.
 



I know for some people sex isn't a big deal but for a book aimed at teens I really don't think this is the kind of message that young people should read.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be sex in YA books. I just think that it should be emphasised that sex is a big deal and not something that should be taken lightly. I mean sex is how you get pregnant which is definitely a big deal!

In New Adult books you kind of expect meaningless sex but not in a YA book.


 


Do you have any thoughts on sex in YA books?



 

No comments :

Post a Comment